Frequently Asked Questions
On Emergency Evacuation Plans
1. ARE THEY REQUIRED BY LAW?
The International Fire Code (IFC) and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) require that plans be posted in some specific occupancies. You should contact the local fire marshal to determine what the local ordinances are for your facility.
Most insurance carriers and safety departments recommend posted plans as a best management practice.
2. WHAT DOES "LOCATION SPECIFIC" MEAN?
CADD STUDIO LLC EMERGENCY EVACUATION PLANS are location specific meaning that if you are looking at the plan and its shows you are here - beside the vending machines - and it indicates to go to the left to exit the room - that is exactly what you do. If the EMERGENCY EVACUATION PLAN was on the opposite wall, the plan would be rotated 180 degrees and then it would indicate that you would go right to evacuate the room.
CADD STUDIO LLC EMERGENCY EVACUATION PLANS only show that portion of the building floor plan that contains the two ways to exit the building, a primary and a secondary route. We do not show the entire building floor plan with a tiny dot indicating you are here.
3. HOW MANY PLANS DO I NEED?
The total number of plans needed is dependent on the complexity of the floor plan, the number of exits and the distance of travel to the exits. We will provide an estimate of the total number of plans with our written quote.
4. WHAT SHOULD BE INCLUDED ON AN EMERGENCY EVACUATION PLAN?
• Fire extinguishers
• Fire alarm pull stations
• Emergency phone numbers
• First aid stations
• External assembly locations
• Severe weather shelter areas
• Eye-wash stations
5. WHAT TYPE OF FRAME DO YOU USE?
• Red aluminum frames to differentiate these from other artwork
• Plexiglas fronts
• Available in matted or non-matted
• Available with secure hardware to prevent someone from moving or taking plans
6. WHAT TYPE OF DOOR IS AN EVACUATION DOOR?
An "evacuation" door to the exterior of the building would include panic hardware so it could be easily opened from the inside, it would swing to the outside of the building and it would be labeled as an "exit".
7. WHAT DOES CADD STUDIO LLC NEED FROM ME TO START THE PROCESS?
• Drawings that you have on-hand today.
• We will put these into Autocad and return them for you to update and verify exit door locations. You will return these "marked-up" drawings and make the changes to your facility drawings giving you an updated set of facility prints.
• We will then send you proof copies of the individual EMERGENCY EVACUATION PLANS to approve and/or correct. After we have received your corrections, we will print the final plans and frame them for shipment to you.
8. WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY "PHOTOLUMINESCENT"?
We use a media placed under a printed clear Mylar sheet that allows the plan to be legible for about 30 minutes in the event that of an evacuation when there is no lighting present.